2019 Greatest Bluefish Tournament on Earth Official Rules
A complete copy of these rules can be obtained at the offices of radio station WICC600 (“Station”), owned and operated by Connoisseur Media, LLC and its subsidiaries (“Connoisseur Media”) located at 2 Lafayette Square, Bridgeport, CT 06604, during normal business hours Monday through Friday or by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the above address.
The Station will conduct the Greatest Bluefish Tournament on Earth tournament (the “Tournament”) substantially as described in these rules, and by participating, each participant agrees as follows:
No purchase is necessary to enter or win. A purchase will not increase your chance of winning. Void where prohibited. All federal, state, and local regulations apply.
1. Eligibility: This Skill Based Tournament is open only to legal U.S. residents, at the time of entry with a valid Social Security number and who reside in the Station’s Designated Market Area (“DMA”) as defined by Nielsen Audio, who have not won a prize from the Station in the last 90 days or a prize valued at $500 or more in the last 180 days, and whose immediate family members or household members have not won a prize from the Station in the last 90 days or a prize valued at $500 or more in the last 180 days. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Connoisseur Media, its parent company, affiliates, related entities and subsidiaries, promotional sponsors, prize providers, advertising agencies, other radio stations serving the Station’s DMA, and the immediate family members and household members of all such employees are not eligible to participate. The term “immediate family members” includes spouses, parents and step-parents, siblings and step-siblings, and children and stepchildren. The term “household members” refers to people who share the same residence at least three (3) months out of the year. The Tournament is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Station’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Tournament. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
2. Tournament Period: The Tournament will begin at 12:01am ET on August 24, 2019 and will run through 5:00pm ET on August 25, 2019 (the “Tournament Period”). The Station’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Tournament.
3. Registration is Required: You can Register to participate in this skill-based Tournament via (a) mailing in an entry; (b) registering in-person; (c) registering on-line; or (d) by telephone. Contestants must be registered in order to be eligible to win any prizes, and a $36 registration fee must be paid by each contestant in order to register. Registration begins July 15, 2019 and may be by mail, in person, via telephone at 203-366-BLUE or online at www.WICC600.com. Submit the attached form along with your check or money order for $36 to The Greatest Bluefish Tournament on Earth, 2 Lafayette Square, Bridgeport, CT 06604. Mail-In Registration Deadline. Mail-in registrations must be postmarked no later than August 9, 2019 and received no later than Friday August 16, 2019. The Station is not responsible for lost and/or late mail-in entries, all of which will be disqualified. In-Person Registration Deadline. Registration in person must be at an officially designated registration station. For a full list of official registration locations, please visit WICC600.com. Hours of operation vary by location and Station is not responsible for any hours of operations or unforeseen closures that may prevent a participant from properly registering. Deadline for In-Person registration with a registration station is 7:00pm Friday August 23, 2019. Telephone Registration Deadline. Registration via telephone must be done by calling 203-366-BLUE and will require the submission of a credit card and must be done by 5:00pm Friday August 23, 2019. Online Registration Deadline. Registration online ends 11:59pm August 23, 2019. By registering, you agree to these Official Rules and the decisions WICC 600 AM Radio (“WICC” or “Sponsor”), which are final and binding in all respects. No responsibility is assumed by Sponsor for lost, late, misdirected, illegible, mutilated, or postage-due entries or for any human, telephone, or technical malfunctions that may occur. Registration & Weigh-In Stations are subject to change. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned to contestant. REGISTRATION FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
4. Polygraph Testing: By registering, all contestants agree to be polygraph tested in order to claim a prize and prior to being awarded any prize won. To remain eligible for their respective prizes, first, second and third prize winners are required to take and pass a polygraph test within one (1) month following the tournament weekend (by September 27, 2019 or, in the event of rescheduling due to a natural disaster, by October, 11, 2019). All polygraph tests must be administered by a person approved by the Tournament Director. WICC also reserves the right to require any other winner to take and pass a polygraph test to remain eligible for prizes. Refusal to be polygraph tested within the time specified above will result in automatic disqualification and to immediate forfeiture of any potential Prize that might be awarded. Anyone contesting a winner’s entry may request a polygraph test at the protestor’s expense. In the event of a winner failing a polygraph test, the winner has 30 days to retake and pass the polygraph test at the winner’s expense to claim their prize.
Fishing either day or partial day constitutes participation in the tournament.
5. Rain or Shine Event: The Tournament will be held rain or shine. If the Tournament is totally cancelled before the start of the Tournament by natural disaster or an act of God, as defined in Station and Sponsors sole and exclusive discretion, if possible the Tournament will be rescheduled, subject to whatever limitations Station and Sponsor may set, for the alternate weekend of September 7 & 8, 2019. This is the final date. No refunds will be provided. Announcements for canceling and rescheduling the tournament will be made on WICC600 AM Radio before 4:00 pm Friday August 23, 2019. You may also contact WICC AM 600 at (203) 366-2583 for information regarding cancellation or rescheduling of the Tournament. In the case that the Tournament is rescheduled, all deadlines will be extended exactly two (2) weeks (fourteen (14) calendar days).
6. Tournament Description: All people in a boat who are fishing for bluefish for prize consideration during the tournament must be registered. (a) For the purpose of this Tournament, Long Island Sound’s westernmost border will not be past the Whitestone Bridge. The easternmost border will not be past the Colregs Demarcation Line (a line running from Orient Point, New York across Plum Island, across Great, Little, and Gull Island, to Race Point on Fisher’s Island and from East Point on Fisher’s Island to Watch Hill Point, Rhode Island which includes Fisher’s Island Sound). (b) Bluefish (Pomatomus Saltatrix) must be caught unaided by hook and line from a boat on Long Island Sound or from the shore of Long Island Sound, in each case subject to the borders described above. Any assistance in the process of catching & reeling in of the fish will result in an automatic disqualification of that fish. (c) Bluefish must be caught and presented for weigh-in between 12:01 am Saturday August 24, 2019, and 5:00 pm Sunday August 25, 2019. (d) NOTE! Bluefish frozen, partially frozen, or without their eyes intact and clearly visible when presented for weigh-in will be disqualified. In the interest of bluefish conservation, any bluefish under 28 inches in length will be automatically disqualified. For the purpose of this Tournament, Sponsor encourages a “catch and release” policy for all bluefish less than 28 inches in length. Only FRESH bluefish that are 28 inches or longer in length, with eyes intact and clearly visible, will be considered. (e) No prize will be awarded for bluefish brought in after 5:00 pm, Sunday, August 25, 2019 at any official weigh-in station. (f) After being weighed, all fish in possible contention must be gutted. The decision of the weigh-in station or a Sponsor employee shall be final. (g) Bluefish in possible contention and presented for judging, and only those become the property of the Sponsor.
7. Judging: (a) Bluefish must be presented to a WICC Bluefish Tournament representative at any of the official weigh-in stations. A list of their locations is available on the official tournament website. (b) In the interest of allowing for the most winners, only the heaviest of the fish presented by each contestant will be judged to be a contending fish. NO CONTESTANT MAY WIN MORE THAN ONE PRIZE. (c) Bluefish presented for weigh-in may be subjected to a Torry Meter test. (d) In the event of a poundage tie, the winner will be selected as the earliest to weigh in his/her fish. (e) The decision of the weigh-in station or a WICC employee shall be final. (g) Any challenges to the official winners list must be presented in person no later than 4:00 pm on Wednesday August 28, 2019 at WICC 600 AM Radio, 2 Lafayette Square, Bridgeport, CT 06604. Anonymous challenges will be disregarded.
8. Prizes: The approximate retail value of all prizes is $39,350 (based on an estimated 11 official weigh stations). (a) First Place: A $25,000 check will be awarded to the contestant with the heaviest bluefish by weight. Second Place: A $7,500 check to the contestant with the second heaviest bluefish by weight. Third Place: A $2,500 check to the contestant with the third heaviest fish by weight. Fourth Place: A $500 check to the contestant with the fourth heaviest fish by weight. Fifth Place: A $500 check to the contestant with the fifth heaviest fish by weight. Sixth-Tenth Places: The contestants with the next 5 heaviest bluefish will each win a $200 check. Eleventh-Fifteenth Places: The contestants with the next 5 heaviest bluefish will each win a $150 check. Sixteenth-Twentieth Places: The contestants with the next 5 heaviest bluefish will each win a $100 check. (b) After the winners in paragraph (a) are determined, a $100 check will also be awarded to the contestant with the heaviest bluefish at each official weigh station. (c) NO CONTESTANT MAY WIN MORE THAN ONE (1) PRIZE. Checks will be mailed out once the Winner has fulfilled all requirements as stated herein including those in Paragraph 4. (d) No assignment, transfer, or substitution of prize is permitted, except that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if the advertised prize is unavailable. Taxes are the sole responsibility of the winner. Station reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual if it finds, in its sole discretion, to be in violation of these rules, and such contestants will forfeit his or her registration fee and/or prize.
9. Verification of Potential Winner: THE ELIGIBILITY OF ALL POTENTIAL TOURNAMENT WINNERS IS SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY STATION WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE TOURNAMENT. The potential winner must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. The potential winner may be notified by email and/or telephone call after the date of random drawing and/or winner determination. The potential winner will be required to sign and return to Station, within three (3) days of the date notice is sent, an affidavit of eligibility and a liability/publicity release (except where prohibited) in order to claim his/her prize, if applicable. In the event the winner is under the age of 18, a parent or guardian (over the age of 18) of the winner must sign the affidavit and releases. A winner who returns the affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release will be deemed to have accepted the Tournament prize and thereafter will not be permitted to rescind their acceptance of the prize and/or return the prize. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the affidavit of eligibility and/or the liability/publicity release within the required time period (if applicable), or if the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits prize. In the event that the potential winner of a prize is disqualified for any reason, Station may award the applicable prize to an alternate winner by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries.
10. Entry Conditions and Release: By entering, each participant agrees to: (a) comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Station, which are binding and final in all matters relating to this Tournament; (b) release and hold harmless Station, Connoisseur Media, and its subsidiaries, related and affiliated companies, participating sponsors, the prize suppliers and any other organizations responsible for sponsoring, fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting the Tournament, and each of their respective past and present officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, including but not limited to invasion of privacy (under appropriation, intrusion, public disclosure of private facts, false light in the public eye or other legal theory), defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to a participant’s entry, creation of an entry or submission of an entry, participation in the Tournament, acceptance or use or misuse of prize (including any travel or activity related thereto) and/or the broadcast, exploitation or use of entry; and (c) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to an entrant's participation in the Tournament and/or entrant’s acceptance, use, non-use or misuse of the prize.
11. Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Tournament constitutes winner’s consent to use by the Station and its agent of winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or biographical information (including hometown and state) for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration, unless otherwise prohibited by law.
12. Taxes: All State, Local, Federal and/or other taxes, duties, tariffs, title fees, licensing fees, or other fees for prizes awarded become the sole responsibility of the winner. All those who win a prize or prizes valued $600 or more in any given year will be issued an IRS Form 1099 to report their winnings and must submit an IRS Form W-9 to Sponsor to claim prize.
13. General Conditions: Station reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Tournament, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Station’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Tournament, as determined by Station in its sole discretion. Station reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Tournament or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Tournament may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Station reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Station’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
14. Limitations of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Station, entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Tournament; (2) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Tournament; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Tournament or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Tournament or receipt or use, non-use or misuse of any prize. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In event that a production, technical, programming or other error causes more than stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be claimed, Station reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate, unawarded, eligible prize claims.
15. Disputes: Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Tournament, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (ii) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Tournament, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved exclusively by the United States District Court or the appropriate state court located in the Station’s listening area; (iii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Tournament, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (iv) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and Station in connection with the Tournament, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the state in which the Station is located, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the state in which the Station is located or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the state in which the Station is located.
The Tournament and its Sponsors are not responsible for the conduct, personal damages or negligence on the part of any contestant.
This Tournament is held in strict compliance with the laws of the State of Connecticut, United States of America, and its territorial waters.
17. Tournament Results: A winners list may be obtained within thirty (30) days after the Tournament Period expires by sending a self-addressed stamped envelope to the Station identified below.
TOURNAMENT SPONSOR: Connoisseur Media, WICC600, 2 Lafayette Square, Bridgeport, CT 06604.